This post may contain affiliate links. I only recommend things that I wholeheartedly endorse. See my full disclosure here

How I Saved $129 by Buying Real Food

How I Saved $129 pin

Have you wanted to start eating more real food for weight loss or health but felt that you couldn’t afford it?  I understand!  I wanted to show you one of the ways I save money on real food.

Almost free snacks (or how I saved $129)!

Now that fall is here we were able to get apples from a friend who buys them directly from a farmer.  She calls everyone she knows who would be interested in buying apples and gets an idea of how many bushels she needs.  Then she contacts a farmer to find out what the price would be if she buys a huge amount.  You can get really good deals that way.

If you are interested in getting a deal like this ask around at your homeschool group or at your church.  Or google food coops near where you live.  You will eventually find other people who are getting real food for cheap.  Also, it is the time of year to get great deals on apples at the regular grocery store!

We were able to buy a bushel of apples for $14. That is about 40 lbs or 35 cents a pound!  That is around 12 cents an apple.  If you ate a store bought snack it would cost you a whole lot more.  At Walmart a 10 oz box of teddy bear shaped graham crackers is almost $3.00.  My box of apples contained approximately 120 apples. The same amount of the graham crackers would have cost me about $143.00!*

One of my helpers with some of our apples!

We will eat alot of the apples over the next 3 weeks or so.  We peel and freeze the apples that we won’t be able to eat in the next few weeks.  We try to freeze them as soon as possible for the freshest apples.  (But apples do keep for a while).  Frozen apples can be used for all kinds of recipes.  We are going to try this copycat recipe for Cracker Barrel Fried Apples.
(Of course I will probably replace the sugar with Sucanat (natural unrefined sugar), and the cornstarch with tapioca flour.)
So not buying store bought snacks saved me over $100.  I can use that money to buy some of the things I do spend more for (like coconut oil!).  :)
*Here is the math I used if you are interested:  A medium size apple is approximately 5 oz.  I estimate that if you peeled it and cored it then it would be around 4 oz.  A 10 oz box of teddy bear shaped graham crackers would then be equivalent to 2 and a half apples.  So I had the equivalent of 48 boxes of graham crackers (120 apples).  48 boxes x $2.98 =$143.04.
Want more money saving ideas?  Subscribe below and never miss a post!

Photobucket a-wise-woman-builds-her-home

Comments

1. says

Great idea. I’m a real food eater, too. I’ve heard that when you eat healthy, you eat less and so it is less expensive. And, eating healthy means eating from scratch and planning ahead which is usually less expensive than impulse drive-thru or packaged food. I found you on Motivation Monday.

• says

Great points Heather! I have heard that too about eating less, but had forgotten. I was actually just thinking about something very similar before I had even read your comment!

2. says

Sounds delicious! Apples are relatively quite expensive here in China because they aren’t locally grown at all. When people give us apples as a gift, I treasure them!

3. says

I’ve been looking around for ideas on how to save on groceries all week. This is definitely an interesting idea! I wanted to try some farmer’s markets, but here in Atlanta they’re more novelty than anything else–they don’t save much money…and sometimes they even cost more than store bought! I hadn’t thought to go directly to a farmer, though. (Not for fruit, anyway.) Thanks for sharing! :)

4. says

Great idea to save money.Our family enjoys apples as well :)
    Thanks for linking up this week on Inspired By Me Mondays! Hope you come back again next week, Rachael @ Diamonds in the Rough

5. says

We do this too! We have a HUGE apple tree in our yard, so that’s a blessing and we also do a peach co-op. I LOVE having fresh peaches, but it’s also great to have frozen peaches and apples for later. :)

6. says

You are so ingenious! I have never frozen apples before. I like to cut them into slices and small cubes and dehydrate them. Then I use them in recipes and the cubes in my oatmeal with a little cinnamon for Apple Cinnamon oatmeal. Thanks for sharing you ideas and experiences.

7. says

Getting together and buying bulk is a great way to save money. Thanks for sharing this with us at Let’s Get Real. I’ve featured your article during this week’s party. I hope you can stop by and join the party again.

8. says

It’s amazing how much you can save when you stop buying packaged snacks! We recently discovered the beauty of spiralizing apples, sprinkling with cinnamon and baking them. Sooooo tasty!

Thanks for sharing this at Savoring Saturdays, Kristie! Hope to see you back this weekend!

9. says

Great post! I want to eat healthier!!! Please come join the link up at somuchathome.blogspot.com! I host a party each Wednesday. The link up parties last a whole week, so you can link up at any time. Feel free to link up as many posts as you’d like.
    God bless.

• Kristie says

I know what you mean! :) It can be a little work to find sources to begin with. Now that I have established connections I get phone calls whenever something is available.

Trackbacks