Ear infections can be really painful! There are many things that you can do to help your child heal from an ear infection-you can boost the immune system with food or supplements, you can encourage the ear to drain properly, and you can kill the virus or the infection in the ear.
All of those things will help your child to recover and will lessen the pain. However, I know that when one of my kids had an ear infection, I wanted to know how I could help my child to stop hurting as soon as possible!
Tylenol and Ibuprofen are often recommended for pain relief, but there are a couple of reasons that they are a last resort for me.
- Conventional pain medications such as Tylenol and ibuprofen can sometimes cause more problems than they solve. Ibuprofen can cause ulcers and increased blood pressure. Tylenol can cause nausea and headache. Both Ibuprofen and Tylenol can cause liver and kidney damage. Personally, I only use Tylenol if it is the middle of the night and other pain relief measures haven’t brought enough relief.
- Giving pain relievers can make an illness last longer. In one study they gave volunteers the flu virus. Some of the volunteers were given a pain reliever and others were not. The patients that received the pain reliever stayed sick longer!
Here are some things that can help the pain of an ear infection without the bad side effects of conventional pain medicines:
1. Heat-often heat alone is a big help to easing off ear pain. Fill an old clean sock with rice and heat it in the microwave until it is really warm, but not too hot. Apply the sock to the ear.
2. Onion-this often helps ease ear pain. Slice an onion in half bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. Let cool until it is really warm but not too hot. Apply to the ear. This can be left on the ear for a long time if desired.
3. Garlic oil-this helps with the pain as well as killing infection. You can make your own, or buy it online*. (Make sure that the eardrum isn’t preforated-I explain how you can tell here.)
Sometimes, these remedies work better than pain medicine because they go directly to the source of the pain. The last time one of my children had an ear infection we used these remedies, and they worked well for us!
*If you have never ordered from Pure Formulas you can use my link to set up an account and receive $5 off of your $50 order (shipping is always free with Pure Formulas!) Click here to receive $5. (You will need to enter the code RWPNBF in the referral code space on your order.)
This post was shared at Fat Tuesday.