Today I ate chocolate which I think set off a histamine reaction! I was fatigued, and went to sleep for a little bit and woke with tingling, buzzing hands, legs, and feet. I could feel pain in the bones of my hands and feet. It is not really bad pain, but causes insomnia. I had acid reflux, bloating, and felt too “wired”. I remembered an article I had read on how to use antihistamines to shut down histamine reactions. I decided to try to shut down my own. Histamine is cumulative meaning it doesn’t cause problems until it builds up to a certain point. (The goal is not to have no histamine, but the right amount).
Making sure to eat cleanly is important because dyes, additives, sulphites increase the histamine burden on the body, or decrease the body’s ability to get rid of the histamine. Many medicines can cause problems for people with histamine intolerance.
The liver plays a part in getting rid of histamines. That is why working on detoxing your house and environment will help in so many ways. The liver is key to soooo many things – if you want to be healthy, slender, and not have pms or other hormonal or chronic conditions you need to take care of your liver. And if you are having reactions to histamines then the liver needs attention. Here are some ways to help the liver and stop a histamine reaction:
- Drink Lots of Water
- Lower Stress Level – for me that will be thinking on positive things (Philippians 4:8-For the rest, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely and lovable, whatever is kind and winsome and gracious, if there is any virtue and excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think on and weigh and take account of these things [fix your minds on them].
- Digestive Enzymes
- Good Quality Salt –Real Salt
- Good Quality Fats –Coconut oil
- Magnesium Citrate -I use the NOW brand
- Raw Vegetables-for antioxidants
- Raw Fruits-also supplies antioxidants, but fruit is trickier with histamine intolerance
- Cooked Broccoli-vitamin C can destroy histamine
- Oregano is a natural histamine reducer. I use a drop or two of this oil.
- Other Liver Support Ideas Here
- If I feel like I can’t sleep, then a very small dose of melatonin helps. I usually only take part of a tablet, and that works for me.