I buy healthy foods. I am VERY frugal. And I really like Whole Foods grocery store. Whole Foods is completely different than the average grocery store. You can find all kinds of gluten free items, organic items, and all of their store brand items (365) are gmo free. They have tons of unusual items and bulk foods.
There is only one drawback-they are jokingly referred to by some people as whole paycheck (meaning you can spend your whole paycheck there!) I thought I would share how a VERY frugal person (me) shops there. The items I talk about below cover my criteria for food-they helped me to regain my health and they don’t break my budget.
A Few Tips
My first tip is to not shop there all the time. 🙂 I go occasionally and stock up on the things I can’t get from other grocery stores. I also stock up on things that are actually cheaper at Whole Foods than at other grocery stores-many grocery stores consider the items at Whole Foods “specialty items” and charge more for them. For example, Whole Foods often has sales on things like gluten free pasta or bread.
Make sure to grab the flyer filled with coupons at the front of the store. I usually browse through it to see if they have coupons for things that I would buy anyway. Frugal foods + coupon=happy me. 🙂
The organic produce can be a good deal at Whole Foods. They have some really good weekly deals-I have seen organic produce for less than conventional! Also, I buy all the “cheaper” produce like organic potatoes, organic carrots, and bananas-organic or regular (bananas aren’t usually as contaminated with pesticides). Organic apples can be a good price there too and regular grocery store apples are often heavily sprayed with poisons.
There are some good prices in the frozen vegetables too. I often buy non organic broccoli, cauliflour, and peas there (they are not usually contaminated with alot of pesticides). The frozen organic corn is a good price also.
Awesome Deals at Whole Foods
- Bulk foods (these are the foods that you bag yourself) The organic raisins are a great deal! The organic grains like organic oatmeal are a good price. Other bulk foods are priced well too like organic dried beans.
- The 365 brand of olive oil is a really good price!
- Their organic spaghetti sauce (365 brand) doesn’t contain msg like most spaghetti sauces. Many brands hide msg under the name “spices”. It is in a jar so it doesn’t contain alot of chemicals like spaghetti sauce in a can. And it is an awesome price-$2.29!
- Whole Foods has many organic corn items for a really good price. Much of the corn in conventional grocery stores is genetically modified, so I like to buy organic popcorn and corn tortillas at Whole Foods. I found awesome corn tortillas for an awesome price in the frozen section of Whole Foods.
- Whole foods has a really great glycerine soap bar (365 brand) that doesn’t contain any bad ingredients or fragrances. I love this soap! It is $1.49 for a 4 ounce bar.
Did I miss anything? Are there other items that are really healthy and really frugal at Whole Foods?
You might also be interested in some other money saving articles:
This post was shared at Fat Tuesday.